It’s officially SUMMER! Woooooooooo!!!!! This is my season. There’s something about summer that makes me more productive, happy, and social.
I mentioned mixing patterns last week, but here we go again. Today, I’m pairing this black and white striped dress with a floral scarf. My neutral striped dress is the perfect canvas to mix another, more colorful pattern with. When you start thinking about mixing patterns, think about the colors and textures. You want colors that compliment each other and textures that don’t clash. It’s always easy to mix a pattern with a neutral piece.
Below are the 5 tips I like to keep in mind when mixing patterns, textures, and colors.
– Pairing a print with neutrals almost always works.
– Choose two patterns in the same color family.
– Prints that are different sizes often blend well together. Think tiny floral print top and bold striped jacket.
– Accessories work great as a second texture or pattern. Printed sneakers are so cute right now and a statement necklace or earrings will add an extra element of texture to any look.
– Choose complimentary colors or the same color. Without boring you with color theory, I’m going to share a color wheel below. The triangle is the primary colors, and the color directly across from any color is its best compliment. You can also choose the color directly next to any other to compliment. For example, if the first piece of my outfit is red-violet that means the other should either be yellow-green (directly across) or red or violet (next to on either side). I hope that makes sense.
I hope those tips helped! I’d love to see your pattern mixes! Tag me on Insta (@sarahbrithinee) so I can see!
Shop this look below: